Monday, February 16, 2009

Ruth Chapter 1, highlights

Ruth is one of the only women in the bible that has the "honor" of having a book named after her. This made me think it would be a good idea to really dig into this book so here's what I'm learning from it so far:
In the first chapter of the book of Ruth it gives you background. Here's how it went down,
Noami had two sons, they married Ruth and Naomi. After 10 years, Naomi's two sons die and There's Orpah, and Ruth. Naomi's mad adn bitters she tells O, and Big R go back to your mothers maybe you can get a new man, I'm too old to have any more kids, and even if I did it'd be crazy for you to marry them go back and get you a man!
Orpah, say basically foo, I'm outta here but Ruth Replies:
16 But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me." 18 When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her.

This is why I like Ruth, she doesn't leave her lady. Obviously her and Naomi had a strong bond, and if you read the first chapter she tells Orpah, to go back to her home and her "gods". Naomi believes in the one true God and Ruth sticks with her. Also notice in the last verse, Naomi is still bitter, but follows the Lord and Ruth's right there with her. I bet Ruth was an amazing friend and a stubborn one at that.

No comments: