Thursday, February 26, 2009

Running

A good many of my friends now that I am a runner. Today was a pretty sweet day. For the first time since I started training for the Cooper River Bridge Run I ran 2 miles and I would consider it easy. I'm a diabetic so it's hard to eat enough carbs and to cover what I'll burn off. For two miles I'll eat around 300 calories or about 45 carbs. For a 3.5 mile run I'll eat closer to 60 carbs to cover it. So consequently you don't really lose a whole of weight while running. I usually burn off what I eat. But the after effects of running if I run the downtown loop I will benefit from this about 24 hours after. My sugar will be in good control and sometimes I can go with very very little insulin.
This is what keeps me doing it, It's nice to be able to eat a granola bar in the morning and only need half the insulin you normally do if you had been lazy the day before.

No comments: